Thursday, December 16, 2004

Repressed No More

That's right ladies and gentlemen, I have rights, and as of yesterday I have formally exercised them. I am of course referring to my rights and benefits package as a returning minor to the State of Israel. The rights of a returning minor are basically the same as a new immigrant to the state, including money to help with the first year, tax breaks on vehicles, tax back on appliances and so forth. As a returning minor I am aloud to stay in the country for four months a year before the clock on my benefits starts ticking. After five years said clock stops ticking and your benefits disappear. Only one thing stops the clock - being in the army. The Garin is designed so that everyone enters the army in some way shape or form within the first three months, so that if desired, a returning minor's (which many people in the program are) benefits are preserved. After these people end the army they have a month left to decide whether to stay in the country and use their benefits, or leave the country and save them for another occasion. I had originally planned to save my rights (and decide after the army) but recently changed my mind. Pursuant to that decision I visited the office of absorption and requested that my benefits begin at once. My logic was that the startup money is much more valuable to me now (as I have very little money), and if I end up staying in Israel after the army I should still have a nice window of opportunity to use my rights. On the flip side, if I return to America after the army, the most likely time that I would return to Israel (and use my rights) would be shortly after I was married. In that case I would receive benefits from my wife's immigration. Boo Yeah.

3 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute - who is this wife of yours, and when is she making aliyah?!

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait - returning minor? Does that mean something different in Israel than it does in the US?

So you basically have 5 years of benefits that will start soon and not include your tour in the army? If you leave after the army are you giving those up? Just clarifying.

~Danny

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir Adam, may the lordy lord keep blessing you - from your famous interview and progress with the health care system, to your "Boo Yeah"...
want to share some love with a fellow minor?

i hope my benefits situation works out as well as yours!
hope you're still having a great time, talk to you online tomorrow!
and i'll see you in a little over a month!!!
sincerely,
rafi aka skowron aka mangine-ite aka minor #2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home