Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Signed, Seal, and Delivered

Or at least signed. Since Meg apparently doesn't like being held in suspense...On Sunday morning I went to my landlord's office to sign an extension of the lease. The situation was actually a bit peculiar. My landlord is actually the legally appointed guardian for the real landlord who suffered a stroke shortly before we originally moved in to the apartment. When I arrived to sign the lease, the legal appointee was on the way to the hospital as the landlord's health was failing. I spoke with the appointee and we agreed that the appointee's assistant would sign the lease in the appointee's name. I'm not sure how legal the whole thing was, but I figure as long as we were in agreement it should be fine. As I was leaving the assistant's office we received a phone call informing us that the landlord had passed away. It is slightly intriguing to me that if I had arrived an hour later (after the landlord had passed away) I probably would not have been able to sign the lease as at that point the legal appointee would no longer have authority and the landlord's lease would need to be enforced to determine ownership of the apartment. I'm hoping that everything pretty much stays the same when ownership of the apartment gets sorted out. I mean, we do have a legal lease. I think.


Also, happy birthday Mom. I love you.

2 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Avi said...

Uh oh. You may want to talk to a lawyer.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Safranit said...

Egads could you come up with a more complex story!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home