Friday, August 27, 2004

Pleasure To Meet You

On Tuesday the army and I had our first formal introduction. Overall it went well. I had a small interview where I was asked all sorts of questions about my family history and was given a brief Hebrew test. The girl interviewing me got all excited when she found out that I had a master's degree. Unfortunately, the field of "nueroscience" doesn't exactly exist (by that name) in Israel. This means that we had to spend a half of an hour trying to find which degree listed in the computer was the closest. Afterwards I took two tests - one on patterns and the other on analogies. The coolest part of the meeting happened next. I was invited to meet with the chief officer of the enlistment office. While the meeting was in the end irrelevant, as I have no desire to work in their office, it was still nice to receive special treatment. Perhaps the most important meeting that I had was with the doctors. While the doctor acknowledged that it was clear from my medical records that I had Crohn's, Israeli bureaucracy required confirmation by an Israeli doctor. This means that I won't get my official health profile until I see a doctor and the army officially recognizes my Crohn's disease. In any case this means that I still don't have much official information to report. However, I have spoken to people in both the diplomatic and strategic planning divisions and it is likely that I will be working with one of them.

-Adam

PS Props to Alex Kleinmann for being the first non-family member to call me in Israel. He is cooler than the rest of you.

2 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shainy-
Glad to hear everything is going well. We miss you here (not just here in Chicago, but here in the US). I'll keep this short, but I just wanted to suggest that you fix the spelling on Alex's name, with him being such a good friend (his name has 2 n's at the end). The Red Sox are playing so well now, they might catch the Yankees, and of course, the Cubs are giving me high blood pressure. Anyway, good luck with the week of getting your ass kicked, it will be just like Brandeis. Talk to you soon. Love you.
-Adam

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Just wanted to point out that, while Alex Kleinman is certainly cooler than me, I actually called you first. And Jerusalem to Kibbutz Degania is still long distance. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home