Friday, December 17, 2004

Back in High School

Most secular Kibbutzim in Israel are home to either a pub/bar or a club/disco. Degania happens to be home to the latter. Every Thursday and Friday night people stream into the Kibbutz to dance and drink. The club (named the DNA) has a somewhat dubious reputation and charges a cover, which Garin members have to pay despite the fact that we live here. For those reasons I have had absolutely no interest in checking the place out. Until last night. I was invited to a party at the DNA and put on the "list" of people who don't have to pay a cover. I figured: "What the hell? If it sucks I can just leave after five minutes and walk back to my room." Which is exactly what happened. I arrived at around 1:30, when the club is supposedly "rocking," but what I found inside was an utter disappointment. The best comparison I can give is that of a high school dance. The place was half empty and a good third of the patron were hanging around the edge of the dance floor. Those dancing were in small circles and their dancing consisted of standing and occasionally moving a body part. There were of course the requisite number of strange people who seem to be engrossed in their own bizarre "expressive" dance. Yes, Israel has weird people too. Clearly this wasn't my scene so I made a hasty exit to the comfort of my own room. Recently the Kibbutz decided that the DNA was not worth the hassle and decided not to renew the lease to the club managers. Personally, I couldn't really "care" less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home