Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Safe-ty First

Today I walked down to the post office to check my work's post office box. This is not an uncommon occurrence as I regularly deal with invoices and receiving payment. What made this afternoon's trip "special" was that in addition to the regular mail, we received a package. We hadn't ordered anything so I was quite surprised when I was asked to sign for a heavy, medium sized box.

Playing around with unknown packages from unrecognized senders is not widely considered "intelligent" in Israeli circles but I figured that since the unibomber is out of circulation, the chances of a terrorist targeting a small web design business were highly unlikely.

Upon returning to the office I opened the package with my boss, who was similarly baffled by the unexpected package. Inside we discovered a mini-electric wall safe. The kind you would find in a hotel room closet. After verifying that nobody in the company had ordered the safe, we called the distributor for some clarification.

Turns out that the safe was a gift from our ISP. We had just ordered a new firewall from them, and despite the fact that we subsequently canceled the order, they wanted to help us stay "safe" in the real world too. It was a nice, albeit corny, gesture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home