Sunday, December 09, 2007

Mares, Does, and Adam

A few months ago I met with an osteopath to discuss alternate approaches to treating my Crohn's disease. The doctor turned out to be more of a dietitian and he recommended a cleansing diet that amount to eating very little for about a week followed by a week of eating only slightly more. Rather than go to extremes I tried to focus on slowly changing some aspects of my diet that the doctor felt were not particularly good for my condition. One of his recommendations was to replace my standard breakfast of cereal and milk with oatmeal. And he wasn't referring to flavored instant oatmeal.

So for the past few weeks I have been experimenting with eating oatmeal several mornings a week. I can't say that I feel much better Crohn's wise (I would give myself a 3.5/10 on the sickness chart but on my way up) but it is probably a little healthier than the processed cereals.

I have been experimenting with different ways to flavor the oatmeal and the best recipe I have found so far uses salt, cinnamon, a splash of orange juice and teaspoon of sugar. I'm looking for new and exciting recipes though so if you happen to be an oatmeal connoisseur, feel free to send some of your favorites my way.

6 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an oatmeal person, and my favorite is oatmeal and banana. Cut a full banana into chunks and add it to the oatmeal when you first start to cook it. Let it simmer and the fruit will eventually caramelize. I don't need sugar on the cereal because the caramelized banana is so sweet. I hope that you enjoy this.

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All there is to say is:

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Applesauce is good. Also, I like to make mueslix - soak the oats in hot water overnight (1:1 ratio), then add a bit of sugar and some chopped up fruits (I do apples, bananas, and craisins). You can add milk and eat it like cereal, and eat it warm or room temp.

 
At 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up w/ unflavored instant oatmeal and we would add some combination of the following:
milk
butter (margarine)
brown sugar
syrup

 
At 3:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my parents like to eat salty oatmeal... they'll make oatmeal, maybe with chicken broth, and then add diced chicken... i guess if you add veggies, it's basically soup. :) i guess you can try this if you ever get sick of the sugary stuff.

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy...oatmeal..gotta love it! I am so jealous! lol hope u r feeling better! see u soon!! xoxoxo Mel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home