Sunday, May 21, 2006

Like A Light Switch

It's that time of year again. The Omer. The 49 days that are counted between the first night of Passover and Shavuot. During this time it is traditional not to do several things - at least during the first 32 days. You don't get married. You don't cut your hair. You don't shave. Tradition being what it is there are several variations regarding the degree to which you do not do these things. Normally I hold that it is acceptable to shave for Shabbat (you can ask me why later) however, this year the timing worked out that for the first two weeks of the Omer I didn't shave. I figured that if I was that far along, I might as well not shave at all. I was getting my Omer on. Then, on the 33rd day, I got it off.



Omer on.














Omer Off.

3 Comments:

At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lookin' smahhht!

I definitely support your use of photographs, adds a nice touch to the blog. Keep 'em coming.

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, your reaction in the sporting goods store is totally understandable, and in fact, commendable.

Second... I miss observing the Omer :(. Alas I finally felt sufficiently isolated from my traditional Judaism here at Union that I decided to go your once a week route for the first two weeks, and after that I just gave up. This is the first time in 4 or 5 years I haven't had a fun beard experiment in April.

And your before/after pics are delightfully... corny? Is that the right word? They're 'you' anyway. I would make fun of you for them but I'm pretty sure I've taken some very similar ones of myself in years past ;)

~Danny

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

adam
you look much better without the beard.

did you not understand that i wrote you anonymously - i live i chicago - the white sox won last year
i'm from boston, the red sox won the year before - therefore - which sox should i root for. i am going to the game on july 7th and i will wear my red sox tee shirt proudly as they play against the white sox. last time they did (last year) they got slaughtered
and the lovely lady in florida - that's nana!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home